Wednesday, December 30, 2015

White Privilege

I've done a lot of thinking on "white privilege." Sometimes, it's hard for us to see the ways we hurt each other or think of examples beyond our normal reality, our comfort zones.

I went to an assisted living place for seniors this Christmas. The halls are beautiful with pictures and lamps. They have a gym, a community room (bingo is where it's at), a place for those with memory problems, restaurant-style dining, a bistro and even a theatre!

Now, I've spent some time in group homes and hospitals, and let me tell you, whites aren't the only people who age or need help caring for themselves. The sad reality is that many families have to care for blacks, or they get dumped in Hell holes.

I asked my grandma if they've ever had a black, Hispanic or Asian resident. They have not had a single one. I know where they end up. Meanwhile, blacks, Hispanics and Asians staff the nursing home and barely make anything with no security for their own futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment